Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chapter Thirty One - The Molokai Six


Tensions were high back at the safe house. The Molokai Six, as they’d dubbed themselves enroute, had initially been in high spirits. By the time they reached the safe house, the lack of sleep and the aura of secrets hanging in the air had exacted a toll on their collective mood.

Rudy wanted to know about the sister that Charlie had alluded to and Raven wanted to know what kind of plan Pete and Rudy were cooking up with Charlie. Circe never missed a chance to land a jab or plant a seed of doubt, mostly just because she was Circe. Pete was tired and fed up with the tension in the group and Soon-Li and Wally just wanted to go home as soon a possible and as ignorant as possible.

“Look, everyone,” Pete finally spoke up. “We’re all tired and cranky. Obviously we all have things on our minds. Let’s just get some sleep. Once we’ve had some rest we can deal with our issues. We should hear from Charlie this evening and then we’ll figure out how to finish this thing off and get on with our lives.”

For the most part, they grunted their agreement and padded off to their rooms.”

Pete was first to rise early in the afternoon. Circe had tried to seduce Pete but had been banished to the sofa after he’d refused to allow her in bed with him. Now she was nowhere to be found and it didn’t break his heart one bit. He’d never had much use for her.

When Raven and Rudy appeared in the living room a couple of hours later, Raven didn’t receive the news of Circe’s disappearance well.

“Don’t you understand? They could find her, like they have once already and she’ll lead them right to us. How could this happen? We need to leave, right now.”

“We can’t leave until we hear from Charlie.” Rudy said. “If we take off, we’re vulnerable too, plus Charlie won’t know how to reach us.”

“Oh, who gives a damn about Charlie.” Raven countered, “I don’t know what he has in mind for you guys but I’m pretty sure it’s not legal and it could get you both killed. I’ll tell you right now, you can count me out.”

“Fine, you’re out.” Rudy snapped. “He didn’t mention wanting your help anyway. Damn it Raven, you know we’re not safe as long as Azeri is in the picture.”

“And just how do you think you’re going to get him out of the picture? You two idiots turn into hit men now?”

Raven had seen too many raids go wrong when carefully planned by professionals. Who knows what kind of trouble this rag-tag bunch of idiots could get into? She’d seen enough bloodshed for ten lifetimes and she knew in her heart that she was about to see more. She had to find a way to put an end to this nonsense now.

“I don’t know.” Rudy was losing his temper. “We’ll just have to see, won’t we? I’m sorry but I have to do this. I gave my word and we have to finish it somehow, end of story!”

“End of story!?” Raven was furious now. Nobody, but nobody talked to her like that. “I’m warning you, Rudy, you do this and we’re finished. I won’t have any part of this and I won’t have any part of you if you go through with it.”

Raven’s eyes burned a hole right through Rudy.

“Look, Raven, I don’t want to lose you but if that’s the price of saving your life, I can live with it. It’s a no-brainer.”

“Oh, my hero.” Raven was shouting now, “Who asked you to be my big fucking hero? You don’t have a clue what you’re getting yourself into, you big, stupid jerk.” She was crying now, like some silly hysterical girl and that pissed her off even more. She slapped Rudy and stormed out of the room.

“Whoa. She’s really pissed brudda.” Pete said, trying to lighten the mood. Rudy stared after her, dumbstruck.

“Listen, she’ll come around, don’t worry. We’ll just do what we know we have to and she’ll come around when it’s over. Charlie’s got this all worked out; we’ve got to trust him. Look, the first part went off like clockwork, right?’

“Yeah.” Rudy finally said. “Yeah, it did. I just hope you’re right about Raven.”

“I am right. Jesus, the woman is ass over teakettle for you, don’t ask me why. I guess she just doesn’t know you like I do.” Pete said with a grin and a slap on the back.

By the time Charlie finally called it was nearly 10 PM and the house was ready to explode from the tension inside.

“Charlie, I was really getting worried about you. I was afraid maybe Azeri suspected your involvement and you were in some sort of trouble.” Rudy said into the phone.

“Of course he suspected my involvement,” Charlie said, “but never underestimate the charm or the persuasive powers of a good ol’ boy from the Guff. I had to stick around a while, play dumb, which apparently I’ve gotten pretty good at.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re alright.” Rudy said.

“Yeah, I’m fine but we’re going to have to move fast on part two. We’ll need some muscle for this, just some extra bodies, won’t hurt if they’re big extra bodies. What about those locals you play basketball with, you think they’d be willing to help if there was a seven figure payday in it for them?”

“Oh man, I don’t know, Charlie. Ben and Bill own a construction company. They’re legit guys, doing alright for themselves; they don’t need to get mixed up in anything like this.” Rudy was thinking as he spoke. “I’ll talk to ‘em but what do I say? I don’t even know what the plan is.”

“The plan is we’re going to rob them. No violence, just like I promised, I’ve got it all worked out.” Rudy was getting real tired of hearing how Charlie had things all worked out. He could only hope that it was true but he couldn’t imagine how it could be. And last he’d checked, robbery was still a felony, no matter who you robbed.

“I don’t want to get into any details on the phone but suffice it to say that there’s a seven figure payday in it for everyone. Azeri’s associates will do the dirty work when they arrive at the Ranch with six million dollars worth of cocaine and find his safe empty. You’re supposed to play basketball with those guys in the morning, right?”

“Yeah, how did you know that?” Rudy asked.

“I told you Rudy, I’ve been working this out for the last two years. I know everything... everything. Get ahold of the locals tonight, don’t tell them too much, just see if they’re interested. I’ll meet you and Pete at your game tomorrow and I can bring them up to speed then, 7 AM right?”

“Right. 7 AM.”

“Bring Pete but not the others. I don’t want to involve them in this; they wouldn’t be much use anyway. Have them sit tight at the safe house until they get the word from us. If you can get the two Hawaiians, plus the three of us, that’ll be enough if we do this right.”

When they hung up, Rudy called Ben and explained his predicament the best he could.

“Listen, I can’t for the life of me come up with any good reason why you guys would want to get involved with this.” Rudy told him honestly. “If you’re not interested, I totally understand; no hard feelings.”

“I guess you doan get this, brudda, but Hawaiians are all about family.” Ben said. “You an' Raven, you family and you need our help, that’s good enough for me. The payday don’t suck either.” he added.

“Jus one ting worry me, though. You want us to rob dese big time drug dealers but no violence? I dunno how you gonna pull that off but we ain’t no da kine killer, me and Bill. Like I say, we got families; we don’t need no showdown wit no coke cowboys.”

“I understand,” Rudy said. “How about we all meet with Charlie tomorrow, hear the plan. If it doesn’t sound right to you, you guys walk, no hard feelings, end of story. Truth is I wouldn’t have it any other way. If it doesn’t make sense to you, you should walk.”

“Fair ‘nuff, brudda. See ya tomorrow.”

Rudy hung up the phone, a little surprised that Ben and Bill were actually considering helping. He turned around to find Raven standing across the room, arms folded across her chest. Everyone else had discreetly gone to their rooms, sensing the impending explosion.
“You’re gonna rob Azeri?”

“That’s what it looks like.” Rudy answered. He had no clue what else to say to her and right at this moment he’d have sold his soul to find the words to make her understand that he had to do this. She was smart and level-headed and incredibly competent, so why couldn’t she understand this simple fact?

“You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into. No stinkin’ idea whatsoever. You just tell me this; what do I need to say to you to change your mind?” She asked.

“Nothing, Raven. There’s nothing you can say to change my mind. I don’t know why you can’t get that but I have no choice. I have to. I made a promise to the man in exchange for his help in saving your life. I gave my word...”

“Then I’m outta here. Don’t ever darken my door again.” she said with a stunning coldness that took his breath away. She spun and headed for the front door.

“Come on, Raven, where do you think you’re going?” Rudy asked, following her to the driveway.

“I can’t stay here. I can’t be a part of this. I can’t be around you right now.” she said.

“This is insane. Where are you going to go? How are you going to get there? You can’t go home, you understand that, right?”

“I’ll walk to the 7-11 on the next block and call a cab. I’ll get a room somewhere. Now let go of my arm.” she said, yanking it away. He hadn’t even been aware that he had hold of it.

“Wait.” Pete called from the doorway. “Rudy’s right,” he said, approaching the two of them in the driveway. “It’s not safe for you out there, Raven.”

“I’m leaving.” she said, and started again down the driveway.

“Then I’ll go with you.” Pete said. “At least let me go and make sure you’re okay. Azeri doesn’t know me; I can rent a room in my name.”

Raven stopped and thought about it for a minute. “Fine.” she said finally. “Suit yourself.”

“I’ll see you at the game tomorrow.” Pete said to Rudy. “I’ll look after her, don’t worry.”

Rudy watched them disappear down the sidewalk and into the darkness. “Be early tomorrow.” he called to Pete. “We should talk before Charlie gets there.”

Pete waved in agreement as he ran after Raven, who was already a half block away.

Rudy thought about running after them and begging Raven to come back and discuss this but he knew it would do no good. He knew there was no stopping her once she made her mind up.
He stood in the driveway watching until the darkness swallowed them and then he went back inside the house, sat on the sofa and put his head in his hands.

The house was eerily quiet except for the gentle snoring coming from Wally and Soon-Li’s room. He did his best not to let anyone hear him sob.

No comments: